Monday, June 8, 2009

Do you allow Perfection to be the enemy of Good?

I get to New York Sports Club on Saturday morning - a bit late - 7:20 - because I first go for a run. This puts me at great risk. The way the parking works at the Dobbs Ferry Club is complicated .... there are a limited number of spots on the parking level that is right outside the main entrance to the club. If you don't get a spot there, you need to go back around and park below --- and then there are two flights of stairs before you get to the main level. (It is a bit oxymoronic that one goes to the gym to exercise but one (who is this one?) gets upset if s/he has to climb another 2 flights of steps. (even more humorous if 'one' then goes on a step machine.)

So I pull into the lot, anxious about my ability to find a parking spot on the main level. As soon as I pull in I notice a spot on the right .... my dilemma .... do I take the first spot I see or do I venture further into the lot and see if there are other spots --- steps closer to the door. Raising the stakes is that there is a car behind me and if I don't take the spot and s/he does and there aren't other spots on this level, then I will be forced to go to the bottom level. So the question that we all ask .... do we go for the 'perfect spot' or take the 'good one?' Does one settle for good or strive for perfection?

It's been a rough time at the gym. Max - our buddy Max - who used to let us in at 4:45am (15 minutes early) has been gone for 2 weeks -- seems like a lifetime. For a few days everything was the same - as Max's replacement maintained this 'informal understanding' until one day she was gone and a MANAGER was opening. And he waits until the stroke of 5am before unlocking the doors. This morning three were 23 people waiting to get in....and then the 'nightmare' begins ... it used to be 'high anxiety' when there were 5 of us competing for 4 of the 'special ellipticals'. That pales in comparison with this latest problem. Max would sign up the people who were at the gym at 4:45 am for the next day spin classes and then take phone reservations. This MANAGER makes the people who come religiously wait and first takes phone reservations .... I was at the gym at 4:50 am this morning --- putting me towards the end of the line of people waiting to get in and much to my shock - I got the 26th bike (there are only 27 in the room). I came so close to being put on a Waiting List and the reason was the MANAGER says he has to 'play fair' and allow phone reservations to have an "equal chance" of registering for the next day spin class. (It was one of Judi's friends who complained that people calling in weren't given the same opportunities to register. Can you guess who?) I tried to argue my case -- that in person registration should get priority - but I was 'put in my place' by the MANAGER. Seinfeld experts will remember the Soup Nazi - well I know am subject to the whims of the Gym Nazi.

Back to the age old question -- should you strive for Perfection or be happy with Good.

The weather this week was PERFECT. Sunny and warm -- shorts weather. Dom got us off on time and we finished the round in another record breaking time - 4 hrs and 15 minutes. One might attribute it (who is this 'one person?') to the fact that Barry left early to go to the Yankees game although truth be told - as it always is on this blog - I was playing only slightly better that 'horrible' and the number of strokes I took were more than enough to make up for one less player. My three buddies were playing well -- with Rich taking home the trophy for the second week in a row. In accepting the award, again, Rich gave full credit to his Golf Sensei.

On the course, one is often confronted with the choice of going for the perfect shot -- over the trees, crossing the brook, or going over the sand trap ... versus the safe shot -- laying up (hitting it safe and usually short of the hole). Going for the Perfect shot between two trees or the Good 'enough' shot of playing the ball back into the fairway.

My problem is that I will often go for the Perfect shot and end of with an 'ugly' one. What would happen if I just played for the 'good?' In life 'outside of golf' - I'd characterize myself as being 'cautious' -- going for 'good', not striving for 'perfection 'for fear of winding up with the 'ugly.' Think about your own strategy on Life. Do you treat "PERFECTION as the ENEMY of GOOD?"

I'm already panicked about tomorrow's gym. Should I get there at 4:30 am to insure a spot in Spin and a good chance of getting the elliptical of my choice .... or do I live dangerously and 'stay in bed' for another 15 minutes and learn to cope with the possibility of missing a spin class. No question -- I'm getting up early .... I can't control my golf game, but I certainly can be first on line -- and use the 30 minutes before the gym opens to answer e-mails. How's that for 'time management?'

So my loyal readership - I wish you what you wish yourself -- either a Good Week (which is more likely) or a Perfect week (with the chance of your being disappointed with something that isn't quite 100%). As part of a research project - I'd appreciate if you would record your answer as to what you wish for yourself, clearly stating your age, gender, race and favorite TV show.

BTW - Bill from last week's blog - says 'Hello'. We ran into him -- and he recognized us and remembered our names. Now he's Perfect.

So until next time -- hoping your drives are long and your putts are short.

Chipster Out

For those who need to know -- Barry had Rye Bread plain - no butter; Les continues to eat healthy with an apple, and I'm guessing that Rich had his gorp.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow - lots of "other", but most interesting. My advice is to hedge your bets. Make a phone reservation and also show up at your usual time. That way you have a double chance of getting in.

Don't know much about golf, but as for life these days, a "good" day really is perfect.