Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Opening Day

So many firsts --- the first time Tiger competed after his publicized dalliances, the first time the Yankees received their world series rings in the 'new' stadium and our first official time out on the course this year.

If you recall - and how can you not, being true devotees of this blog - Saxon Woods is under repair - but that didn't stop us from sleeping in the parking lot, paying $1,000 to reserve Sunday tee time. The course did not open - and it was only because of the persistence of Captain Rich - that we found out we had been given time at Maple Moore - a course up the road - at an earlier start time, which is what we wanted all along.

Thankfully - the crowds following us were diminished because of the 'other firsts' and the original foursome (the Captain, Barry, Les and me) ..... just like Pete Best - Dan Forman is no longer remembered ..... audience participate - who is Pete Best? (Only people under the age of 40 are allowed to answer) started the season. It was a cool morning - but Barry being the forward thinker of the group wore shorts. We all should have worn 'waders' -- the fishing crowd knows what these are -- given how muddy sections of the course were. We finished in a reasonable 4 hrs and 40 minutes .... and played our usual game of 'advancing the ball' - with an occasional good shot thrown in. The greens were multi-tiered and lightening fast. It didn't stop Les from attempting his behind the back, between the legs putting that he has mastered.

Since I pride myself on 'complete disclosure' - on the first tee - on a course we never played on - in front of people who would be following us for an extended period of time, until Saxon Woods opened - which some believe will be in time for the Rosh Hashana Open - second day - I dribbled my tee shot and barely made the women's tee. I didn't take a mulligan - ran to the ball and took another 'huge swing', topped it and had it roll the length of the club .... maybe. The people behind us were starting to mutter --- and use the name of our Lord in vain .... so I hightailed it out of there - pushing my cart - only to get stuck in the mud and just about needed to call for a ranger to give me a tow. Not the best of beginnings.

For those of you who requested an update on the scatological challenges on the course --- the 'official' restrooms were closed, the natural ones (read the woods) are always available, and at one hole there were porter pottys. Three of us went to the bathroom at that time. How many used the porter potty and how many used the woods right behind them? For an added bonus - give names and what they did.

At the end of the round there wasn't the same emotional response that Phil demonstrated - but there was a sense of calm and normality because Golf Season is back.

Quick snapshot of what's happening at the gym --- without any notice - management took out 14 of 26 spin bikes for 'maintenance'. That didn't sit well since 26 people had signed up for the bikes and there was the potential for civil unrest. They were smart enough to put the two biggest trainers - in sleeveless shirts - outside the door - and take the first 14 registrants. Naturally, I was one of the 14 - given that I get on line at mid-night the day before to secure my position of being in the top 5. The notion of 'maintenance' is suspect - since my bike was removed - and my long time readers will remember that I switched my old bike for a brand new one.

The fruits of my professional 'labor' are starting to pay off - with 'promises' from donors and board members to take me to their country club - as their guest. With a bit of luck - I'll have played on four different country club courses within the month. It's a tough job - but someone has to make nice and fortunately my boss sees himself as a basketball/softball player. If anyone is starting a pick up game - please let him know.

Looking forward to this Sunday when we switch it up ... Captain R is in golf camp down in the sunshine state, Barry is leading the Jewish world in an in-depth look at the importance of Jews in film over the years and stepping up is our Mayor - Neil and the best car sitter we have (pictures can be seen on a prior blog), Ben.

So until then -- Hoping that I can get my drives longer and straighter, my putts shorter and truer, and my spin bike back .....

Max out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is clear that you face many challenges this season both on the course and in the gym. You might want to work on that upper body strength in case there is a revolt in spin class and you have to take one of those muscle guys down. And yes, I do know who Pete Best is.