Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Week-End

As Jerry would say .... golf this week-end was a story about 'nothing'. The weather was great - a bit cloudy, warm enough for all of us to show some skin (wore shorts) and we played in a very reasonable 4 hrs and 30 minutes .... never seeing the foursome in front of us. Dom got us off as soon as we arrived -- warming up is not something we get to do and from my perspective - 'much overrated'.

One of us woke up early Sunday morning and experienced the challenges of having college age children transition from 'complete freedom' while away at school to returning home and being expected to live with certain 'rules' . . (Forget about the fact that this 'child' was AWOL and the car was missing -- the real problem was that the golf clubs were in the trunk of the car. We commiserated with our friend, all of us having lived through situations like this.)

What I really want to reflect upon is Memorial Day. My father is a veteran on WW 2 and takes great pride wearing his veterans cap and having strangers come up to him and say thank-you. I, on the other hand, did whatever I could to prevent getting drafted and stay out of the Vietnam War. During that time - the lottery was in effect - and the number chosen was a good indicator of whether you'd be drafted. I'll never forget being 17 y/o - a counselor in the Riverdale Y Day Camp - and learning what my number was - while my group was on an overnight at the campgrounds. Having many good friends who were the same age - we all waited anxiously, while a designated person listened to the drawing of numbers. How mixed were the emotions as most of the guys (girls were not drafted) were given 'high numbers' - but their celebration was muted as my number was told to me --- Mickey Mantle's number -- 7. I came home the next day -- to my parent's crying and a bit of the 'bubble' I had been living burst. Ultimately - my college/grad school deferment lasted long enough for the draft to be ended .... but that didn't help the thousands of lives lost in that war.

I contrast my experience with that of one of my son's best friends in college - a roommate and someone he considers as his brother. Matt comes from a military family and was ROTC. We went to his ROTC graduation ceremony and his father who served as a chaplain in the military had the honor of giving his son his diploma.

Matt is an aviator in the Navy. He has spent these past two years training in Florida and in June will get his 'wings' and go to California before he is sent overseas. Matt puts a 'face' on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan for me. He is a great 'kid' and like so many other 'great kids' - will be defending our nation. I pause on this Memorial Day to thank the "Matts" , to do what strangers do when they see my 89 y/o father with his veterans cap -- to say thank you to those who have served our country and to wish an end to these wars.

So to my loyal readership - no 'cute stories' this week -- a time to reflect and say thank you .

Chip out!

No comments: