Monday, July 6, 2009

HUMBLE PIE

My golf game this past Sunday should have come with a big piece of HUMBLE PIE. Earlier that week, I was invited to play in a charity golf event with my boss (Alan) and two colleagues. (Unfortunately, the event was a way to memorialize the tragic loss of Alan's friend's son.) The format was a Scramble - look at previous blogs that describe how this works -- cliff note version is that everyone gets to hit and the 'best shot' is where the ball is played. The pressure on me was intense ... This was the 7th year of the charity event and the fourth in the first six years was always a semi-pro golfer who 'carried the team.' Unfortunately, after asking a dozen or so 'players' who couldn't make it - Alan was reduced to asking me. For weeks in advance I had to hear about how competitive Alan's 'team' was ... and how he had every confidence that I would 'hold up' my end. (for the record - Alan plays golf once a year - in this event - and let's be kind by saying that he is NOT a natural.) The pressure was intense -- I knew that our 'success' - or lack there of - during this golf event would be the source of conversation for the next year.

I 'teed off' on the first hole - and excuse my immodesty but my readership requires my being 100% accurate in all my recordings - and hit the ball 200 + yards (longest drive of my life) right down the center of the fairway. And this was just a prelude to what was easily the best golf day of my life. Most of my drives were straight and long, my fairway shots were on target and my putts didn't matter. I was voted MVP of our team ... and got to keep my job at WJCS. Thanks to AT whose leadership style will never be duplicated at the Ryder Cup, but whose heart is as big as the two divots he dug in more than one fairway.



So with this occurring on Thursday - I couldn't wait to go out on Sunday. It was a perfect golf day - sunny and warm, with perfect golf conditions - the course was dry, they had cut back the fairways ..... I was expecting .... honestly expecting to go out and hit in the 80's. I figured that my success the previous day would carry forward and that I was over the 'hump.' I felt that I was now a VERY GOOD golfer.



We approached the first tee - and I was eager to get going and went first. Hit a beautiful tee shot - down the middle and far. And that was the last good shot I hit until the 16th hole. I was TERRIBLE. I should have worn a lumberjack's hat instead of a golf cap given the number of times that I hit into the woods. I lost a dozen balls and was tempted to just walk off the course. And just when I was ready to swear off golf forever - I got Pars on the 17th and 18th holes. The Golf Gods were toying with me --- giving me a taste of being a 'player' and then dashing my fantasies. Please feel free to share your 'stories' of 'fantasies fulfilled' and dreams dashed.

There was another lesson I learned about myself --- as bad as I was playing, I was able to take great pride and sincere enjoyment watching Rich play -- the best round of his life. Richie is a true student of the game -- he has embraced numerous gurus and bought most infomercial golf products. Last year he was voted "most improved player" and this year he is well on his way to being named "golfer of the year."

An 'atta boy' goes to Les' son who got up (or never went to sleep) and played 11 holes with us.

A number of people have asked for an update of what's happening at the gym. It's the usual --- need to be on line at 4:40 am ... Dash in and make a decision - sign up for spin first or reserve the good elliptical machine. (Jody and I have an alliance - she signs us up for spin and I reserve the machines and then we both reserve our bikes.) At 5:58 you have to be on your bike or it will be given away to the 'vultures' who circle the room. (wait list people). And if you have to go to the bathroom and won't be back by 5:58, you need to make an announcement to the 27 other people on their bikes -- so yours isn't given away. After exercising, you go to the locker room and hope that you don't find your locker next to someone who is also changing -- which always happens, even though there is not a sole in the rest of the locker room. It's a great way to start the day.

As I end this blog and go back to nibbling at my Humble Pie -- I promise never again to be swept away by dreams of grandeur on the course.

Hoping all your Putts are short and your Drives are long.

Chipster

for the record - I'd appreciate if the other critic on Byway corrects my 'limited vocabulary', grammatical and spelling errors. I can't have my golf sensie and my English tutor be one in the same.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

An excellent story - AND an excellent day, grammatically speaking. However, as we know from the lessons you taught us about golf, I will not assume that this means you have forever improved your English skills - just for today.